Thursday, February 2, 2017

Vigilance

I post a lot about what's happening in our nation and our world right now, both on Facebook and Twitter. There are those who say that people like me need to give it a break, tone it down, take time out and for triviality. "We all need a break from the politics." "I care. Just because I don't want to focus on it doesn't mean I don't care." I understand that. You care. That's great. But caring doesn't change anything. Neither do anger, sadness, and wishing it weren't so.

I choose to focus my mental energy on the politics and problems of our nation because I want to be part of the change. I don't want to just care. This fight is too important to put aside for trivial things. I need to stay informed and I need to share that information with others. Right now, at this time in our country's history, Facebook and Twitter aren't as much social networks for me as they are social JUSTICE networks for me: a place to connect with others who are working to protect the human rights of ALL of the citizens of our nation and world. I don't do this to preach, proselytize, guilt trip, or cause conflict. I do it because I believe I have power and I need to use it to fight injustice. I choose to remain focused. I choose to remain vigilant. I will not lay my burden down.

No comments: