Thursday, January 14, 2010

Our Not So Simple Lives

How do you teach children not to take what they have for granted when we live in a society where most people have so much more than they need? I feel as though most of the children I know have a sense of entitlement about things. I understand our inner desires to be comfortable and be entertained, and I see how our society feeds into this. From within and without we are pushed to have more and live better. There are children all over the world who live with so much less and aren't any less happy. Our children place far too much value on things: video games, computers, television, toys, etc. I wish I could make my own kids understand that we don't need stuff to lead happy and fulfilled lives. I'm influenced by the same forces as everyone else, but I long to live a more simple life, both for myself and as an example to my children.

No comments: