Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sending My Boys to Public School

I called the local elementary school and made appointments for kindergarten registration today. It's hard to believe that Alex and Spencer will be five at the end of this month. Where did the time go? For awhile, probably when they were 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 (the worst of the younger years, IMHO) I wished that they would stop growing so fast and be my babies for a little longer. Now I'm really enjoying their growth and learning. We have so much fun together now. They understand so much more and are curious, funny, and so smart.

I'm a little worried about what public school will do to them. As I've learned in my educational administration studies, public schools were created in part to socialize our children into the particular beliefs and values of our culture. Intentional or not, schools have a homogenizing effect on our nation's children. I don't ever want Alex and Spencer to lose their individuality, don't ever want them to become uncomfortable with being who they are. I don't want them to be afraid to admit that they don't know something and ask questions. I don't want them to feel that they have to pretend to like something because if they don't they'll be "weird". We are a family of wierdos and we try to let them know every day that it's wonderful that they are unique. I hope that message will ring stronger for them than any message they might get at school.

There is also such a strong focus on standards and assessments now and that worries me. School should not be all about learning facts and skills. Children need to retain their thirst for knowledge, their creativity, imagination, and ability to think for themselves. I don't want my children to grow up to be people who need someone to tell them what to do. I want them to grow up to be people who think outside the box, who question and challenge, who explore and create. Critical thinking and autonomy are lost when children are told what to do and how to do it all day every day. Unfortunately our nation has become so focused on outcomes and competition in the global economy (which are important, I agree) that raising children who are great thinkers is neglected.

So here we go on the adventure of public education. I have a feeling I'll be a very involved parent! Like every mom, I want my children to live to their fullest potential, and I'll do everything I can to help them be the best possible people they can be.

No comments: