Sunday, April 11, 2010

Potty Training Update

Potty training Alex is going well.  I'm so glad we decided to follow the protocol that's used at the center where I work.  We've been doing underwear only for 8 days now (other than in the car).  Yesterday there were zero accidents!  For the last two mornings he has woken up dry.  He gets it, he really does!  I don't know when he'll be able to sense on his own that he needs to go to the bathroom, but I know that will come.  He knows how to hold it between scheduled potty times, and that's big!  The emotionality that came with the big change from diapers to underwear seems to be subsiding.  He's adjusting to the change and has become more comfortable.  Potty training an autistic boy is not as terrible as I feared: we just needed to find the right plan and make the commitment to do it.

No comments: