Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm So Blue

I love the house we're moving into. Sure, it's a little small for a family our size, and there's only one bathroom, but it's clean and well maintained. Newly refinished hardwood floors, brand new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, and freshly painted. That's where the problem is. Most of the interior house is painted a nice, neutral, easy-to-match tan. The master bedroom and what will be the twins bedroom are light blue. Light blue! What I call "mental health blue," because it reminds me of the paint that I've seen used in many mental health facilities. It doesn't match a damn thing I own for my bedroom. And the landlord won't let us repaint the room. Okay, he doesn't trust us yet, I understand. Why can't he just through some of the paint they used in the rest of the house up on the walls? It's not even like painting a whole room, since the bottom half of it is white wainscoting. Yes, it totally goes with the Cape Cod house, but it doesn't match the print of my favorite painting, La Belle Dame Sans Merci or my bedding. I've always hated the plain white walls of rentals, and love the tan the landlord picked for the rest of the house. Couldn't he just have stuck with that color?

Have I mentioned that for years I have sworn off decorating in this color because I dislike it so much?!!? Aargh!

Okay, done venting.

1 comment:

JennX said...

Just cover it! We are buying huge canvases and are painting them in a few shades we like, sort of glazing and sponge technique. Then we'll hang these over the shiteous mural in the dining room.

I also have an entire hallway in brick. B.R.I.C.K.

Oh, and the bathroom actually has foil wallpaper. Foil. Shiny freaking silver!!! Its even on the back of the door and used as a shade in the shower.

I feel your pain, but I would take an ugly blue over the foil any day!!

Its all good!! Its whose under the roof that matters.