Thursday, August 28, 2008

We've Moved!

Shew! What a lot of work it has been, and the old place still has some things in it and needs to be cleaned. Thank goodness for the kind landlords who let us move in a week early. We finally ate off real dishes last night. Fortunately all the boxes are in the basement so I can't easily see how much unpacking we still have to do!

Living with a teen and a tween is a big adjustment. I'm used to having some semblance of control over the children I live with. I thought I had a good number of years before I'd have to deal with deciphering when a 14 or 10 year old is being irresponsible and when I'm just expecting too much. Is it too much to ask that they scrape their dirty dishes or hang up their wet towels? And the loud music. . .it's like being back in the dorms. I will adjust, perhaps begrudgingly sometimes, but these two kids are really amazing and I'm a better person just for having them in my life. And by the time Alex and Spencer are teens this will all be old hat.

Right now my sister's eight year old twins and five year old son are here and they're all in the living room playing Rock Band. They've had such a good time together today and have already come to the conclusion that they are "cousins." That family isn't defined by pieces of paper, but by relationships, appears to be intuitive to them.

I love our new family and our new home. I am so happy to be going to sleep and waking up next to the man I love, to be drinking our morning coffee and talking about what to have for dinner that night, to be watching our children get to know each other even better and to see things coming together in a beautiful routine that will be our life together.

1 comment:

JennX said...

I actually moved boxes that I never unpacked from our last move!! LOL!

Sounds like one very big, very happy family! And good luck with the tween - I swear they are more challenging that teens!